Discover the ecourse trends this year. Have insights about the e-learning market, choose the best niches for online courses, and get online course ideas.
Times have changed into something even more digital. It's been a long time coming. A few decades back, one had to be in a physical school or traditional environment for any type of learning to take place.
That's a massive change from what is offered now. From the comfort of your bedroom, you can not only learn and become certified in a course but also you can create your course and put it out there for a worldwide class of students.
E-courses go beyond an educational tool for students or individuals interested in learning. It can also be used by businesses to train their staff or even educate their customers on a product. Content creators are not left out of this niche.
Ecourse Trends – Educational Trends This Year
With e-learning mostly tailored to the millennials who are more tech-savvy, it functions better with content that caters to their needs. Generalized teaching or learning is slowly fizzling away. Even with online courses, teachers prefer the option of personalized teaching tailored to a student’s needs.
This is more concerned with the need of the students/learners. Here, the learners have a say in the planning and evaluation of their classes. Also, teachers are more likely to consult rather than order when it comes to students’ educations .
The face of technology is constantly changing, and its changes impact all that it encompasses. One of these is education. More innovative teaching methods are cropping up all over thanks to emerging technology.
With machine learning algorithms, pattern recognition can be used to personalize content to a learner’s needs. Also, there are now ways of improving the learning curve to improve retention and learning outcomes .
Internet of Things
This isn’t meant for just the corporate organizations or the tech industry. The education sector has a lot to gain from the IoT. It complements the traditional learning environment with an integrated system of more advanced and effective learning tools.
More than just one of the ecourse trends, this is one of the features of m-learning. With information broken into smaller modules, it’s easier for students to learn. It also increases their retention rates and makes it easier to assimilate information on the go .
There are a few terms you should be familiar with before we dig deeper
Even after life became a bit more digital, making an e-course on your own still seemed challenging. Granted, computers were available to help but that was about it.
Let's see what some of the breakthroughs in online learning that has led up to this moment are:
This is the use of electronic devices (such as laptops and PCs) as well as the internet for online education. It's a bit structured and relatively formal. It’s also more suited for longer and broader topics.
This is still online learning but optimized for mobile devices instead of computers. It's certainly more flexible and less formal than e-learning. M-learning courses can be delivered on the go, anywhere, and anytime. Unlike e-learning, this is more suited for shorter modules.
These forms of online learning are great and offer numerous benefits.
From quick delivery and evaluation of learning to customizable content and learning support, the creation of such courses has played a huge role in the way e-courses panned out over the years.
This growth is a result of the massive boom in the industry. Exactly how ecourse trends are made. People are paying more for online courses and there's no such a shortage of material being put on there.
Some people are even learning courses online so they can begin to teach others online.
What exactly is an e-course?
Is it as simple as an electronic/online form of education? Probably. An e-course refers to any online course created to teach a skill or subject outside of a traditional, offline setting.
E-courses can still be part of school programs or a program offered by various other platforms, from businesses to organizations and individuals.
What makes e-courses popular?
- One word: convenience. Everyone appreciates a convenient lifestyle. E-courses embody that fully.
- Courses are highly flexible. No classroom? Fine! Just stay in your room and learn. As a course creator, the same goes for you. Stay in your home office, your bedroom, or the café across the street and you can come up with and deliver a digital course.
- These courses run on a learn-at-your-pace basis. So, there are no stringent deadlines or pressure. They also take much less time than offline courses.
- Online courses have a low learning curve making it easier for students to understand and retain the course, not to mention how easy it is to access them.
- Ecourses can help to boost a person's resumé. Most of them offer certificates at the successful completion of the program that can set one apart from their peers in terms of qualification.
- And of course, the kicker: these e-courses are super cheap on their own and even when compared to traditional courses .
With the above benefits, there's little wonder why e-courses are so popular. Although popular might be putting it lightly. In 2010, online courses had a value of about $32 billion. They are projected to reach a massive $375 billion in 2025 .
Creating an e-course
- The e-course thing sounds good, yeah?
- Do you want to get in on the sphere of digital products?
- Would you like to diversify into the world of online business?
- Do you already have an offline business but would like to switch to an online model?
- Do you already have an online business but would like some rebranding?
Here's what you need to do:
Choose the topic you can create a course on
This should be a topic you’re an expert at. Not just one of the ecourse trends. Bogus course creators can be spotted from a mile away. You must be knowledgeable and passionate about the topic you choose.
Below are a few things that should help you decide:
- Find out if there's a potential audience for the course, if there is, that's a good sign.
- Scope out the competition - if they’re really big, don't panic. There are enough clients to go around. Check their work and make yours better.
Have an outline
This outline should detail what the learning outcomes will be. What will your students learn and how are they going to successfully apply it in real life? Then, create the course outline.
Schools have a curriculum so, you should have something similar. An outline that can at a glance tell students and even potential clients what the course is about .
Decide on the method of delivery
There's numerous format you could use to deliver your course. There’s video, written files, audio, or a combination of them all.
With videos, you do have to get some proper equipment so you don't put out videos that look like they were shot during an apocalypse. A tripod, mics, a good camera, and lighting equipment will go a long way here.
Audio e-courses have been on the rise lately. They can make your audience feel like you're focusing directly on them. Almost everyone has their headphones on at all times, so the potential here is huge.
And audio courses simply provide more flexibility. People can listen to them anytime and anywhere without having to be stuck at the computer for hours.
Written courses were the first formats of e-learning and are still doing great. You can use this as email services, PDFs, slide presentations, and more. And while they feel impersonal most times, they provide an opportunity for learners to truly learn at their own pace.
Alternatively, a combination of all three formats would work rather nicely.
Create the content
Now, this is where the real work comes in. You've got to write now. Whether you type straight into your computer or if your writing process must come with putting pen-to-paper, just start the actual creation process.
Even if it's a video or audio course, you still need an outline or template otherwise you end up winging it and quite possibly not creating quality content .
Do a lot of research. Don't just write off the top of your head. You need to appear as an authority in that field to retain your client and attract more.
Just put in the work.
Choose your platform
This is just as important as creating the course content, otherwise, how are you going to get it out there. Whatever you do, ensure the platform you choose supports m-learning.
E-courses are all about flexibility. Restricting people to a computer all day isn't a great selling point.
The platform should also have an excellent LMS for all your learning needs .
Monetize your course
The price should be great for you and your students. Don't price it too low in an act of desperation. Most people tend to take the more expensive courses more seriously.
But don't overprice it. You might get some students but not nearly enough. Perhaps, start little and increase over time. But be sure to add more value as you increase the price.
Market your e-course
Market it using social media, other educational content creators, paid ads with influencers, and more. Also, make sure your content is SEO optimized. That way, a simple Google search will bring it to your potential clients.
We’ve talked about how online learning has changed over the years. What's crazy is that it's not slowing down. More developments keep coming up in the online learning sphere.
Embrace the change and work it into the fabric of your brand. If you're not open to change, chances are that you will be left behind grappling with the old ways. While you might be comfortable there, your clients certainly won’t be.
At the forefront of e-course marketing is the promise of new and exciting channels. That said, here are some interesting ecourse trends
Online communities are currently booming as a way for a group of people – students, coworkers, customers, or just about any other group of online learners to come together and share knowledge or similar interests.
Everyone needs a support system. Providing this support system is a great way to cater to the needs of your members.
If you're running an online course, you could set aside a day or so for group live chats on various social media platforms. But be sure to be present. You are, after all, the leader of this community; take this position seriously and let your content reflect your values.
Subscription and membership sites
This goes beyond a monetizing strategy. It creates an organized structure that might make people feel more in tune with the online community.
This is especially true when certain features or contents are only available to members who have subscribed to the community. Plus, it’s easier to access, renew, and receive regular content.
Creative ways of adding value
Adding value to your course is an excellent way to stand out in a saturated market, be it e-courses or other digital products. It’s pertinent to upgrade your course content. From the actual design of your courses to filling in the gaps in the niche. Add great resources, materials, and more to help your course.
This is a great way to relate more on a personal level with your clients. Offering some extra coaching through Skype or email is a possible way to do this. These coaching services can involve personal discussions between you and your clients. You can also monetize this service to make even more profit.
Certificate of course completion
What comes after a traditional school? Graduation of course!
Before you start thinking of a graduation theme, remember we’re talking about online courses here. Your best bet to finalize things is to create a Certificate of Online Course Completion.
It adds an extra level of authenticity to your course. It's also a great marketing strategy. And you can help your students in the job market or just give them an extra sense of success.
Choose an online platform for this. For instance, with Gurucan’s free Completion Certificate Builder, you can easily create certificates for your students and even send it directly to them.
Extra formats of learning
From audio content such as podcasts to webinars or even live meet-ups, there are quite a few extra ways you can change the look of your course. It's all about the best communication modes for you and your clients .
And that's some of the latest ecourse trends. Keep your ears to the ground for more.
Whenever there’s a new trend, jump on it, but of course, add your spice and own them.
Most Profitable Online Courses
Some online courses stand out over others, helping creators rake in the cash. That’s how ecourse trends are formed. Can you guess which would come first on that list?
If you said technology or computer-related courses, then you guessed right. It's not surprising anyway, considering how IT-related professions are among the most in-demand jobs, with everyone trying to get in on them.
Also, this industry always supports remote working. So, you can learn it online, practice it online, and make money online.
Then, there are courses on business and entrepreneurship, content creation, health, beauty, and lifestyle, as well as education and personal development courses.
These are all profitable as well. Take an in-depth look into each of them, see what they've got to offer, and make your choice.
Bestselling Online Courses
There's no universal platform that decides what the bestselling online course is. However, based on ratings and the number of learners, some courses are doing better than others.
Based on the top industry ecourse trends - Technology, and Science, here are two of the most popular courses on Coursera and Udemy:
- “Machine Learning” on Coursera. With over 3.6 million students enrolled, it's no surprise it's number one on this list. This course not only gives students a general introduction to machine learning but also enlightens them on data mining and statistical pattern recognition.
- “2020 Complete Python Bootcamp: From Zero to Hero in Python.” This is available on Udemy and aims to teach students the basics of Python so they can even create their own apps and games. It has over 1.1 million students enrolled and is regarded as an Udemy bestseller.
Take a look at these ecourse trends and try to get a feel of them. This might help you figure out what makes them such bestsellers.
Gurucan as a platform for all your e-course needs
To create an excellent e-course, you need an equally excellent e-course platform that also supports most digital ecourse trends. The EdTech SaaS, Gurucan, is perfect for the creation of e-courses on so many levels.
Below are some of the reasons why you should consider creating your online courses with Gurucan and follow ecourse trends:
- Gurucan is a primarily m-learning-based platform that is perfect for e-courses. You can also create a white label app to customize the course and take your brand even further. Either way, it's user friendly and boasts of an intuitive interface.
- You can easily create online communities with subscriptions and membership options.
- Gurucan comes with an excellent LMS that provides great learning support for iOS and Android devices.
- Gurucan supports the import of existing followers to your new platform. Also, this platform is an integrated network of all your social media and content hubs.
- Not tech-savvy enough? Don’t worry, the Gurucan team is there to guide you every step of the way so you can create your e-course(s) with minimal tech headache.
- With Gurucan, you can create professional certificates of online course completion.
Is online learning the future of education?
Yes, it is. The concept of traditional education has changed so much over the years. And online education offers a range of benefits including flexibility, a wide selection of programs, easy access, supports personalization, and is way cheaper.
Is online learning better?
When online courses are done right, they can be as good as or even better than traditional learning. Some studies have found that students in some online learning situations performed better than those in traditional schools.
Why is online learning more effective?
M-learning and e-learning always have an LMS which likely has a low learning curve, thereby increasing retention rates and understanding. Also, with online learning, students take on more learning materials but still have a more flexible timing arrangement which increases effectiveness.
What are the effects of online learning?
With online learning, different people in different places all have equal access to effective education. It's also easier for students with social anxiety to fit in and open up in an online learning environment more.
What do I need to create an online course?
First, you must have an idea of what direction to take. Then develop this idea into a feasible plan. Work with your plan to create your course outline and content. Finally, find a platform that supports your vision of an online course and launch it. This platform should be mobile-friendly and also have a solid LMS.
How do I choose a course topic?
Figure out two things - what you can teach and who you can teach. Expand both answers and decide on an appropriate topic that fits them both. And be sure it's something you're passionate about.
What courses are appropriate for online learning?
Online education supports almost all topics. From business to content creation and web development and several others. However, courses that require more hands-on training such as CPR training and driving may not be well-suited for online learning. Factor this into picking your course.
What are the most profitable niches online?
Some of the best niches for online courses include technology and science or ICT, business and entrepreneurship, arts, content creation, health and lifestyle, education, and personal development.
What are the top-selling online courses?
Online courses in technology and ICT are some of the bestselling courses out there.
How do you find the most profitable niche?
With a lot of research and dedication. Go where the audience is but be sure to scope out the competition and add value to your content.
With online courses, one of your best marketing tools is your customer. Happy clients make for happy course creators. On that note, endeavor to make your course as learner-centered as possible.
If it’s your first time in the e-course business, this post is an excellent guide for you. However, start small. Don’t go for a major course that will lead you to burn out.
Build your audience and your brand. Don’t forget to reach out to Gurucan…let’s help you create a great course!
- 4 Education Trends Coming in 2020. 3P Learning. https://www.3plearning.com/blog/4-education-trends-coming-next-year/. Accessed 30-09-2020.
- Top 24 Educational Trends For 2020. Edsys. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.edsys.in/educational-trends-for-2019/. Accessed 30-09-2020.
- The Rise Of Online Learning. Ilker Koksal. Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/ilkerkoksal/2020/05/02/the-rise-of-online-learning/#151ad7fe72f3. Accessed 30-09-2020.
- Global e-learning market size by segment 2019-2026. E. Mazareanu. Statista. https://www.statista.com/statistics/1130331/e-learning-market-size-segment-worldwide/. Accessed 30-09-2020.
- How to Create and Sell an Ecourse. Learning Revolution. https://www.learningrevolution.net/how-to-create-and-sell-an-ecourse/. Accessed 30-09-2020.
- E-Learning Industry Worth $325 Billion by 2025. Justin Ferriman. Learn Dash. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.learndash.com/e-learning-industry-worth-325-billion-by-2025/amp/. Accessed 30-09-2020.
- Main steps to create an online course (Part 1). Gurucan. https://www.gurucan.com/posts/online-course-steps. Accessed 30-09-2020.
- How To Create An Ecourse: A Beginner’s Guide. JoAnne D. Stopping Scams. https://stoppingscams.com/how-to-create-an-ecourse/#how-to-create-an-ecourse-sub. Accessed 30-09-2020.
- Main steps to create an online course (Part 2). Gurucan. https://www.gurucan.com/posts/online-course-steps-a. Accessed 30-09-2020.
- 7 Top Trends in eCourses: What Matters Now. Rachel Reclam. https://www.rachelreclam.com/blog/toptrends. Accessed 30-09-2020.
- Free completion certificate builder. Gurucan. https://www.gurucan.com/resources-learn/certificate-builder. Accessed 30-09-2020.
- Machine Learning. Coursera. https://www.coursera.org/learn/machine-learning?=&ranMID=40328&ranEAID=EHFxW6yx8Uo&ranSiteID=EHFxW6yx8Uo-0McrNYufyC0XQONUsLUhfg&siteID=EHFxW6yx8Uo-0McrNYufyC0XQONUsLUhfg&utm_content=10&utm_medium=partners&utm_source=linkshare&utm_campaign=EHFxW6yx8Uo. Accessed 30-09-2020.
- 2020 Complete Python Bootcamp: From Zero to Hero in Python. Udemy. https://www.udemy.com/course/complete-python-bootcamp/?LSNPUBID=vedj0cWlu2Y&ranEAID=vedj0cWlu2Y&ranMID=39197&ranSiteID=vedj0cWlu2Y-3K7gc5BOVvAwkERgtWCNug&utm_medium=udemyads&utm_source=aff-campaign. Accessed 30-09-2020.
- Gurucan. https://www.gurucan.com. Accessed 30-09-2020.